Thursday, January 24, 2008

Man of the House

Earlier this week, David had to travel to New York on business for a few days. While he was gone, Josiah decided that he needed to be the "Man of the House" since Dad was gone. So my little 9 and 1/2 year old boy tried to think of all the important things that Dad does so he could fill his shoes. He sat at the head of the table and blessed the food at dinner time.
After dinner, David always blesses me by washing the dishes. So Josiah enthusiastically jumped in and attempted to do the job in Dad's place. I pitched in a little more than usual but it was a joy to work along side my son. Siri tried to help to... She kept picking at the left over plate of chicken. Then she said that she was still eating because that is what Dad does while he is cleaning up.
Josiah also pitched in taking out the trash and being generally supportive. He even dressed up as a Knight and said that he would protect me. I told him that the greatest thing that his Dad does as the Man of the House is to pray for his family so Josiah tried to fill those shoes as well. I am usually not thrilled about David being gone but my son's desire to step up and be a man like his Father made this trip all worth it.