Thursday, May 08, 2008

Are You Smarter Than A Second Grader

As Homeschooler's, we are required by law to have our children participate in Testing every year. So this week we picked up the test and I have been administering it to Josiah and Siri. I have tried to make it as relaxed an atmosphere as possible so they wont get too nervous... The truth is, I am working myself not to be anxious over the results. There are some things that I just know they are getting wrong. (Things that we haven't covered yet in our curriculum or areas where I know they struggle) It is an interesting mix of emotions I find myself in. I want them to do well, in large part because I know that it is a reflection on me as their teacher, not because I really feel that the stuff they are being tested on is that important.
As I watch them make mistakes (and bite my tongue so I wont try to help them) it is good for me to see areas that we need to step it up a little.
But then I also get to see how much they absorb from just living life in our family and playing and exploring. There are things on the test that I didn't teach them yet and they surprised me by getting it right anyway.
We have a few days to go and we will all be happy to put this week behind us.